Coffee consumption is increasing in all countries of the world
- Coffee is the second most consumed drink after water
- 2.6 billion cups of coffee are drunk every day in the world
- Finland is the leading consumer of coffee with 12 kg per capita per year followed by Norway (9.9kg).
- 20% of regular consumers exceed 5 cups / day
Annual world coffee production in a few figures
The coffee industry has grown huge and global. It employs hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is not only in the producing countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America, but also in countries which roast and package it. The figures for annual coffee production are impressive. And they keep increasing:
- Coffee is the second most traded raw material in the world after oil
- 125 million people make a living from coffee in the world
- Since the beginning of the 20th century, the annual world production of coffee has exceeded 100 million bags of 60 kg
- Coffee production was 176.1 million 60 kg bags in 2020.
- Brazil is the world's largest producer and exporter of coffee
- 71.1% of world production (arabica, robusta) comes from Brazil, Vietnam, Colombia, Indonesia, Ethiopia